Blogging 101

Getting More Out of Student Blogging!
A great blogging resource for teachers, parents, and students!

DIGITAL NETIQUETTE VIDEO!!

• A Great way to introduce or discuss appropriate behaviors online!

We are using the platform KIDBLOG.ORG to conduct our class blogging this year!

Blog Rules:

1. This media belongs to the school, so all school rules apply here, too!
2. Never write anything that you don’t want everyone to know/see.
3. Always show respect to the authors of posts and comments (yes, you can respectfully disagree!)
4. Have fun “blogging” and discussing with your friends!

Why I think Blogs Should Be Public: A Great Perspective on Global Benefits of Student Publishing!

What does the Classroom that Uses a Blog Look Like?

•student-centered
•students contribute content
•students participate in the sharing process
•students demonstrating understanding of content with the teacher and other students
•emphasizes the research and writing process, rather than just the finished product

Blogs in the Classroom – Strategies

1. Collaborative Projects
2. Student Demonstration of Knowledge.
3. Online Resources for Classroom Use – lesson summaries, collaborations of notes, concept introductions
4. Blogs as a Classroom Webpage
5. Problem Solving
6. Discussions

Good Post/Bad Post? Digitally Speaking!
What Makes a Good Post/Comment?
Good posts are “thought provoking” statements that show an understanding of the text and demonstrate an interest in getting into deeper meanings!

• When you post about study guide questions, put what you think the answer is and ask for feedback/help. I think the answer is __, but I’m not sure…
  • Post a quote and ask for opinions, analysis, feedback
  • Use BOLD statements to get a discussion going. Ex. Do you agree or disagree with Okonkwo’s decision/actions regarding Ikemefuna? What motivated him to make that decision? A question like this is bound to get some very opinionated responses!
  • Discuss content- themes, symbols, motifs, allusions, analogies, metaphors. Put your opinion and ask for others, or just put something you think you’re picking up on and ask for help.
  • Discuss opinions of characters or possible “plot” scenarios. Already a great “thought provoking” discussion going for Animal Farm about what happens to a certain character…
  • Have a different opinion about someone’s answer? SHARE, but be respectful to the author of that post!
  • OPINION based responses will get the most discussion and show the most “analytic” approach!

Your options are endless! Just be creative and remember that the key here is to post something people can comment on and discuss. If you post questions that get one word answers, the discussion doesn’t really exist!

Still Stuck? Try these comment starters…

• •This reminds me of…
  • •This is similar to…
  • •I wonder…
  • •I realized…
  • •I noticed…
  • •You can relate this to…
  • •I’d like to know…
  • •I’m surprised that…
  • •If I were ________, I would ________
  • •If _______then ________
  • •Although it seems…I’m not sure that…

What Makes a Bad Post/Comment?
“Bad” posts are those that are done just for the sake of getting the assignment over with! If your post doesn’t inspire comments, then it isn’t very good! “Bad” posts are also irrelevant or inappropriate.

• Includes inappropriate language/content
  • does not pertain to the book
  • post requires responder to do the majority of the work and shows no effort on your part– i.e. what’s the answer to #7?
  • Offends/disrespects another student in discussion
  • does not demonstrate an understanding of the book
  • answers would be limited to one response, not a discussion
  • responses of “I agree” or “I disagree” (get around that by including a detailed WHY)

When REPLYING…

To be an active commenter..

1. Gather Facts: Jot down things that are interesting and new to you
  2. Make Connections: Relate and compare things you are viewing and hearing to things that you already know.
  3. Ask Questions: What about the comments and presentation is confusing to you? What don’t you understand? How will you find the answer? Remember that there will ALWAYS be questions in an active thinker’s mind!
  4. Give Opinions: Make judgments about what you are viewing and hearing. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Like? Dislike? Do you support or oppose anything that you have heard or seen? Why?

While commenting, try to respond directly to other viewers. Begin by quoting some part of the comment that you are responding to help other listeners know what it is that has caught your attention. Then, explain your own thinking in a few short sentences. Elaboration is important when you’re trying to make a point. Finally, finish your comment with a question that other listeners can reply to. Questions help to keep digital conversations going!

When responding to another viewer, don’t be afraid to disagree with something that they have said. Challenging the thinking of another viewer will help them to reconsider their own thinking—and will force you to be able to explain yours! Just be sure to disagree agreeably—impolite people are rarely influential.

If your thinking gets challenged by another viewer in a presentation, don’t be offended. Listen to your peers, consider their positions and decide whether or not you agree with them. You might discover that they’ve got good ideas you hadn’t thought about. Either way, be sure to respond—let your challengers know how their ideas have influenced you.